Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Giving Cleveland and Ohio a Chance | The Acorn Penny



June 15th we began filming the short film The Acorn Penny here in Cleveland Ohio. It's a short film about a young girl searching for her future - in following an unlikely guide she finds herself taken back in time, brought back to reality and then presented her future - all in an afternoon.

We found that Cleveland holds a myriad of beautiful locations some readily apparent and others hidden to only locals. Even though Ohio has no competitive film tax incentives we believe Ohio (and my hometown Cleveland) deserves a chance whether or not the politicians in Columbus understand our livelihood or not. Filmmaking is hard to understand as a craft because there are so many people involved in the process and until you work on a film set you won't fully comprehend how much goes into it.

There are talented crews here in town but unfortunately many of them have left for Los Angeles, New York and recently Michigan and Pittsburgh all due to other states voting in film production tax incentives. Just last month I worked on a show where I had met a new production assistant and in talking I said 'What's next for you?' I was curious, he seemed motivated and ready to learn - he replied 'Oh, I'm moving to LA. ' How could I blame him? I couldn't for in the end I'll probably have to move back there as well. At least not for a few more months. We'll see.

Picture by: Tom Gavan

No comments:

Post a Comment